Julie A. LaVan
Award-Winning Attorney. Keynote Speaker. Community Servant. Snowboarder.
Julie A. LaVan is founder and managing partner of LaVan Law. An experienced litigator in the business, environmental, and labor and employment arenas, Ms. LaVan has secured favorable outcomes for individual and corporate clients in the commercial, construction, environmental, financial, healthcare, and technology industries.
- 2016 Distinguished, Martindale-Hubbell
- 2016 Rising Star, Super Lawyers
- 2015 Top Attorney, South Jersey Magazine
- 2015 Rising Star, Super Lawyers
- 2014 Rising Star, Super Lawyers
- 2014 Top Attorney South Jersey Magazine
- 2013 Avvo Excellent Rated Attorney
- 2013 Martindale Hubbell BV Distinguished, Very High Rating in Legal Ability and Ethical Standards
- Rotary Foundation of Rotary International, Paul Harris Fellow
- 2012 Awesome Attorney, South Jersey Magazine
- 2012 Top Attorneys in South Jersey, South Jersey Magazine
- 2011 Legal Eagles, South Jersey Magazine
- 2011 Top Attorneys in South Jersey, South Jersey Magazine
- 2010 Awesome Attorneys, South Jersey Magazine
- Board of Trustees, Moorestown Community House, Moorestown, NJ
- Board of Directors, Associated Builders and Contractors, New Jersey Chapter
- Chair, Safety and Marketing Committee , Associated Builders and Contractors, New Jersey Chapter
- Diversity Committee, Virtua Hospital
- J.D., Widener University School of Law, Wilmington, DE, 2006
- B.S., cum laude, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Finance and Marketing, Philadelphia University, Philadelphia, PA, 1999
- New Jersey, 2006
- Pennsylvania, 2006
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, 2006
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2006
- Burlington County Bar Association
- Camden County Bar Association
- Gloucester County Chamber of Commerce
- Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc.
- New Jersey Business & Industry Association
- National Association of Women Lawyers Member
As general counsel to commercial businesses, Ms. LaVan brings years of experience to her practice. Ms. LaVan is experienced in working with business clients on some of the most complex issues arising in daily operations. Ms. LaVan has been retained to provide strategic advice in business formation, development, and growth and has served as counsel to a number of business partnership and shareholder disputes, including those under New Jersey’s Revised Uniform Limited Liability Company Act (RULLC Act). In doing so, Ms. LaVan has leveraged her knowledge of the business and financial worlds to satisfy client interests while preserving the vitality of the business at the heart of the dispute. Ms. LaVan is also a skilled drafter who has prepared business formation and protection documents, as well as asset and stock purchase and sale agreements. Ms. LaVan’s experience in the financial industry equips her to effectively grow businesses and secure valuable investment opportunities with practical advice and timely legal counsel.
In addition to her business practice, Ms. LaVan maintains a thriving environmental practice assisting clients with litigation, regulatory, and transactional matters. Ms. LaVan represents residential and commercial property owners in environmental contamination litigation and provides strategic counsel to business owners navigating federal and state environmental regulations. Ms. LaVan recently secured a multi-million dollar settlement and full remediation of a client’s commercial-use property affected by historic contamination from previous property users. Ms. LaVan’s experience in the environmental field includes work with the federal Clean Water and Clean Air Acts, the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA), and the state environmental laws of New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts.
Ms. LaVan is also an experienced labor and employment litigator. She has provided legal counsel to both employees and employers in cases arising under the federal Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and state statutes, including New Jersey’s Conscientious Employee Protection Act (CEPA) and the Law Against Discrimination (NJ LAD). Ms. LaVan understands the importance of the employee-employer relationships and provides her clients invaluable representation in some of the most difficult employment situations.
Aside from her practice, Ms. LaVan is dedicated to making a difference in the Moorestown and surrounding communities. Ms. LaVan maintains an active presence in many local charities and organizations and provides valued support to business and trade organizations in New Jersey and the Philadelphia and New York metropolitan regions. Ms. LaVan publishes articles and speaks frequently on behalf of professional groups on a variety of business, construction, environmental, and labor and employment topics. Outside of the office, Ms. LaVan is an avid snowboarder.